Sometimes when people ask for my services, I’m amused to hear various forms of the word calligraphy: a few people have requested to have their invitation envelopes “calligraphied”, or their place cards “calligraphized”. So what is the correct usage of this word?

According to Merriam-Webster, the word “calligraphy” comes from the Greek kalligraphia, literally meaning “beautiful writing”, from which my business name and tag line are derived. You can write in calligraphy, have something hand-rendered in calligraphy, or produce calligraphy. An artistic or stylized form of writing can be calligraphic (adj.). The artist him/herself is called a calligrapher (calligraphist is also correct). However, the verb form is “calligraph“, rather than calligraphize.

Hope this clears up some confusion (it did for me). We learn something new every day! 🙂